BCE...A Fashion Line for the Bold, Confident, & Excellent. Identify Yourself with GREATNESS™

BCE...A Fashion Line for the Bold, Confident, & Excellent.  Identify Yourself with GREATNESS™
Photo Courtesy of Jason M Rene

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Nobody Remembers a Quitter

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now—
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

    - Langston Hughes

Destitute communities.  Homeless shelters.  The roof of an automobile sheltering us from the rain and sometimes attacks from mom's abusive boyfriend.  These types of events chronicled my childhood.  According to "society" which often stares down the bridge of its nose, those that come from a background or familial harships such as these are not equipped with the tools to impactfully contribute to American culture.  But still, I rise. 

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.
       - Maya Angelou

You see, GREATNESS can be achieved by anyone.  GREATNESS is not racist.  It is not prejudiced.  It is not judgemental, and it does not deal in the act of showing favoritism.  GREATNESS is however, a mentality.  It is attainable.  It is humble.  It is giving.  GREATNESS is patient, it is kind.  GREATNESS does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  GREATNESS is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  GREATNESS does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  GREATNESS always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveresGREATNESS never fails.  Hence, GREATNESS is 1 Corinthians 13...LOVE.

As an adolescent boy, I made up my mind to never forget the aforementioned trials.  I chose not to forget them because this is my history; and if I forget where I come from, how will I ever know where I am headed?  Life has not always been GREAT, but GREATNESS has always lived within me.  It was those trials, hardships (or whatever adjective you choose), that awakened the resting DRUM MAJOR instinct that lived in me even before I was born.  Is it beneficial to anyone else for me to keep my history to myself?  NOT AT ALL.  You see, many people can relate to my story and I aim to uplift and inspire because, two things I do know is we all want to Achieve GREATNESS in some shape, form, or fashion, and roses do and will continue to...grow from concrete.

Did you hear about the rose that grew
from a crack in the concrete?
Proving nature's law is wrong it
learned to walk with out having feet.
Funny it seems, but by keeping it's dreams,
it learned to breathe fresh air.
Long live the rose that grew from concrete
when no one else ever cared.
     - Tupac Shakur

BCE...a Fashion Line for the Bold, Confident, & Excellent
Identify Yourself with GREATNESS™
http://www.bceapparel.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Excerpts of Pride, Style, and Swagger by CJ "Frank" Nelldell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.